Vegan | Dairy Free
Cook time: 40 mins
Porridge is the ultimate winter breakfast staple, as it is deliciously creamy and warm. This porridge is topped with roasted hazelnuts, coconut chips, fresh maple-roasted pears, and dried mulberries. The inclusion of healthy fats helps to prevent feelings of fatigue after consuming porridge, which many people tend to experience.
What nutrients are we talking about?
Oats are incredibly nutritious, and are one of the healthiest grains on earth. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibre, protein and antioxidants. They are great for weight loss, lowering blood sugar levels and cholesterol, and reducing the risk of heart disease. They are also anti-inflammatory, and promote healthy gut bacteria. Oats are also classified as a nervine, which means they can calm feelings of anxiety, stress and nervousness, and support a healthy nervous system.
- 2 cups of OWN Oats
- 2 ½ cups Nutty Bruce Almond & Coconut Milk, plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp Absolute Organic Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp OWN coconut sugar
- 1-2 organic pears
- ¼ cup OWN Hazelnuts (optional)
- ¼ cup OWN Coconut Chips (optional)
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- Small handful of OWN Organic Bulk Dried Mulberries (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Line a baking tray with paper, and spread the hazelnuts evenly out. Bake for 30 minutes until brown and roasted.
- Peel the pears, and place in a small oven-safe dish and drizzle with maple syrup and vanilla extract, and then sprinkle with coconut sugar. Put in the oven for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, add the oats and milk to a medium sized saucepan. Bring to the boil while stirring, then reduce heat to medium and continue to stir.
- Cook the oats for around 5-10 mins depending on how thick you like it.
- Serve the oats into 2 bowls and top with the maple-roasted pears and any remaining juices from the dish, as well as the roasted hazelnuts (shelled), dried mulberries, and coconut chips.
- Finally, top with some more Nutty Bruce milk and enjoy.
Recipe by Maddie Bingham