Vegan, Dairy Free
Cook time: 30 minutes
This Walnut and Mushroom Spaghetti Bolognese is a wholesome plant-based version of your family favourite. It is also the perfect comfort meal for the cooler months.
What nutrients are in this meal?
Walnuts are extremely rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants, which promote brain function, as well as being beneficial for skin and hair health. Walnuts, when eaten in moderation, have been shown to reduce LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, making them extremely beneficial for cardiovascular health. Along with walnuts, mushrooms are also high in antioxidants and various vitamins and minerals.
- 1 packet of Absolute Organic spaghetti
- 1 cup Organic Bulk Walnuts
- 6 medium white or brown button mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 tsp Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp organic olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tin of organic Chefs Choice diced tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ tbsp of Nutritional yeast or cashew parmesan (optional)
- ¼ cup of red wine
- ½ tbsp of dried herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary etc.)
- Fresh cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- Pulse the walnuts in a food processor until they become crumbly.
- Then add your mushrooms and pulse a few more times until the mixture looks finely chopped. Do not over process or it will turn into mush!
- Add salt and pepper and stir through the mixture.
- Heat ½ the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat and add your mushroom & walnut mix to the pan, cooking until browned (about 15 mins).
- Meanwhile, heat a saucepan and add the remaining olive oil. Sauté the onions and garlic until fragrant.
- Add your tin of tomatoes, red wine and tomato paste to the sautéed onion & garlic, along with the dried herbs. Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add your tomato sauce mixture to the large pan of mushroom & walnut mix and stir well to combine. Cook until heated through. Add in some fresh cherry tomatoes and mix.
- Cook your pasta according to the packet instructions. Strain and serve into 4 bowls.
- Add your chopped basil to the Bolognese mixture.
- Serve the mixture over the cooked pasta, and top with nutritional yeast or cashew parmesan (optional).
Recipe by: Maddie Bingham