Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
Quinoa sushi is a great snack option for almost any dietary requirement. They are perfect for grabbing as a healthy snack option at any time of day. Subbing out the sushi rice for quinoa is an excellent way to get more protein in a vegan diet, or any lifestyle! It’s one of the few plant-based sources of complete protein. This means it contains all nine of the essential amino acids your body needs.
The great thing about sushi is that once you get the hang of it, it’s easy to fill it with whatever you have hanging out in your fridge! Try tuna, leftover veges, or even a dessert sushi for something decadent!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs Absolute Organic Smooth Peanut Butter
- 2 tbs white rice vinegar
- 2 lebanese cucumbers
- 2 carrots
- 1 Avocado
- Nori Sheets
- 2 tsp Spiral Tamari or Soy Sauce
- 2 tbs Vitawerx Keto Mayo (plus extra) for drizzling
- Start by giving the quinoa a good rinse under running water. Rule of thumb for fluffy quinoa is 2:1 water:quinoa, we’ve used 1 cup of quinoa to 2 cups water. In saucepan, place quinoa in water and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and pop the lid on and let simmer for 5-10 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- While your quinoa is cooking, prep your sushi fillings. Use a vege peeler to make small strips of carrot and cucumber, and mashing avocado.
- When quinoa is cooked, stir through peanut butter and rice vinegar to create a sticky sushi rice. Let cool.
- To make your sushi roll, make an even layer of sushi rice over the nori and place filling ingredients in a strip along the bottom (an easy cheat is to wet your hands, or your spoon before handling rice)
- Using a sushi roller or your hands, roll your sushi up, and cut into bite size pieces.
- Drizzle with Vitawerx Keto Mayo and dip into soy sauce for a healthy snack!