Some plastics take up to 500 years to break down. The United Nations Environment Program estimated that over 100 million TONNES of plastic waste are currently polluting our oceans. Here are some of our favourite ideas for easing the load on our oceans…
- TAKE 3 FOR THE SEA – Next time you’re at the beach pick up 3 pieces of rubbish before you leave. (http://take3.org.au)
- GIVE UP single-use plastic bags or plastic water bottles (or both!). The average plastic bag is used for a mere 25 minutes but will take up to 500 years to breakdown. REDUCE your use of plastic, REUSE the plastic that you must buy, then RECYCLE this plastic.
- PURCHASE SEAFOOD FROM SUSTAINABLE FISHERIES. Do you really need that pack of individual packaged mints? Or that ‘value’ pack of bottled water? Purchase a beautiful big porcelain bottle and refill, refill, refill!
- USE ECO-FRIENDLY HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS… Like shampoos and dishwashing detergent. What washes down your sink can affects our waterways in a big way!
- ENCOURAGE your friends and family to do the same. Spread the word! After all, it’s easier if you have the support of your friends and family.