By Debbie Milsom, Naturopath
Did you know that good gut bacteria can help to boost and maintain our immunity?
Did you also know that 70% of our immune function comes from our gut?
Secretory IgA is a type of antibody which acts as our first-line defence against gut pathogens like bacteria, food proteins, parasites, fungi, toxins and viruses. Secretory IgA is closely linked to the gut microbiota. If there is an imbalance of gut bacteria, Secretory IgA levels will be altered.
WHAT CAN GO WRONG?
Your gut health negatively affected by stress, illness, poor diet, antibiotics & other medications, plus environmental toxins such as pesticides. These elements may lead to leaky gut allowing pathogens to pass easily into the blood system. Poor gut health is linked to chronic disease, allergies and lowered immunity.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Protect, heal and seal the gut wall. Nutrition Cares Gut Relief mix contains glutamine, slippery elm, curcumin and aloe vera to soothe, heal, seal and repair the gut wall barrier. Barrier protection should be part of any gut protocol. Cod liver oils, carrots and Pumpkin seeds will also help repair the intestinal barrier.
- Probiotics in particular, Lactobacillus plantarum, and lactobacillus paracaseispecies have been found to boost immune function and can be found in Healthy Essentials Probiotic 10 65+ billion
- Eat fermented foods, such as kombucha, kimchi, & tempeh. Introduce these slowly to your diet to avoid bloating.
- Eat foods rich in prebiotics, these will nourish the gut bacteria. Examples of prebiotic foods include organic leafy vegetables, garlic, onions, asparagus, artichoke, porridge oats and legumes and bananas.
- Get eight hours
- Get out and about in nature, this boosts your ability to balance gut bacteria, reduces stress, and may allow you to make Vitamin D which is also important for immune function.
- Remove toxins from your environment, when buying hygiene products, beauty products and cleaning products try to buy a product made from natural substances.
If you feel that your immunity is low and it needs a boost, come and speak with our qualified Naturopaths for the best free advice on all of your health needs.
This article is for educational purposes only. Always seek health advice from your healthcare professional.