Picture this: curling up on the couch with a warm bowl of creamy, delicious mushroom risotto. In heaven, yet? We’ve added some leeks as well, just for a hint of sweetness. Now we’re talking! Nothing beats comfort food during winter and nothing says comfort like risotto. While risotto may seem difficult, it really is just a matter of gentle stirring until the rice has absorbed the broth – a task that’s comforting in itself. Add some vegan cheese on top for the ultimate savoury hit.
Vegan, Gluten free, Vegetarian | Serves: 4
1 tbsp organic olive oil
1 organic onion, diced
500g organic brown mushrooms, sliced
½ cup organic leeks, cleaned, dried and finely sliced
1 ½ cups Arborio rice
6 cups organic vegetable broth, heated
¼ cup Daiya vegan cheese, to season
Himalayan salt, to season
Cracked pepper, to season
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add onion, sautéing for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the mushrooms and leek, cover the pan and cook for a few minutes, allowing the vegetables to release their water.
- Stir in the rice, and add 3 cups of vegetable broth, stirring gently. Reduce the heat to low, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add 1.5 cups of broth, stirring well again, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the final 1.5 cups of broth, stirring well, then cover and let simmer for a final 5 – 10 minutes, checking to see when the broth has been absorbed by the rice.
- Take off the heat, add the vegan cheese and season with sea salt and pepper.