Gluten Free | Vegetarian | Nut free | Preservative free
PREP: 20 min (if pumpkin and quinoa are cooked)
COOK TIME: 45-60 min
These chickpea patties are a well balanced vegetarian option that your family and friends are going to love! Made from vegetables, quinoa, chickpeas and little pockets of melted tasty cheese. Delicious! They are full of wholesome ingredients, nutrient dense, and a great source of plant-based protein.
These chickpea patties are extremely versatile and relatively fool proof, so get creative. Feel free to change up the veggies, substitute the grains and legumes and add some spices. If you are vegan or dairy free, leave out the cheese or switch for vegan cheese. Whether in burgers, wraps, a sandwich or as a finger food, these tasty veggie patties should make an appearance in your kitchen this week!
- 1 large organic sweet potato, cut into 2cm cubes and cooked
- 1 can Absolute Organic Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Elgin organic frozen peas, defrosted
- 1 tsp. A. Vogel spicy herbamare or salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 organic garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup OWN quinoa, cooked
- 1 organic carrot, grated
- 2 organic spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup Barambah cheddar tasty cheese, grated
- ¼ cup Carawari sesame seeds and or Hab Shifa black seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180oC and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place sweet potato, chickpeas and peas in a large bowl. Using a potato masher or fork to roughly mash the mixture.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper and stir through with wooden spoon. Then add quinoa, carrot, spring onions and grated cheese and stir again until well combined.
- Grab a large handful of the mixture, form into round patties and place on prepared tray. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and black seeds.
- Bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes or the patties are slightly firm to tough and golden.
Recipe by Laura Scherian