Adelle Rutch, Nutritionist
You may have heard the saying that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”, but do you know why it gets such a push? Studies indicate that children who consume breakfast have improved school performance and a healthier BMI. This highlights what we already know, children should be consuming a nutrient-packed meal to start their day.
Lack of time seems to be a common trigger for people who admit to skipping breakfast, and one that can be easily combated with some forward thinking. Once a habit of consuming breakfast is formed, it will be easier to sustain in the future.
Try these family-friendly tips in encouraging the kids to get excited about their first meal of the day.
- Prepare – grab cutlery, bowls etc the night before.
- Cherish the time you have with your family enjoying breakfast.
- Engage – get the kids involved in the preparation and choice of what they would like to eat.
- Connecting the kids from the shopping to preparation can help them to look forward to breakfast.
- Lead by example – sit with your children to eat, they will be more likely to mimic your behaviour.
- These recipes are quick, easy and full of macro and micro nutrients to help nourish growing minds and bodies.
ZUCCHINI AND EGG FRITTAS
- 1-2 eggs beaten
- Half zucchini grated
- Pour mixture into frypan with small amount of coconut oil, cook evenly on both sides.
This is a fantastic recipe to get a serve of vegetable in! Eggs provide a great source of protein and fats – essential for cognitive function.
- 2 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tsp of vanilla powder or dash of liquid
- Handful of berries
- 1/2 cup nut milk (coconut works well for this recipe).
- Blend all ingredients together and set in fridge overnight – breakfast done while you sleep! Get creative, add toppings such as desiccated coconut, nuts and seeds.
Chia seeds are a source of omega-3, calcium, protein and fibre.
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 cups of oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- Selection of dried fruits
- Combine sweetener and oil in saucepan and melt. Combine all ingredients in bowl and mix well. Spread ingredients over a baking dish, bake in moderate oven until oats turn golden. Keep in an airtight container.
- Consume with coconut yoghurt.
Nuts and seeds are rich in vitamins and trace minerals.