By Joshua Gaudry, Food Scientist
Inflammation in the body is a common ailment that we speak with our customers about daily. It can cause a lot of discomfort and unease. Symptoms can range from extreme to mild. We have listed some amazing foods below that may help ease inflammation in the body.
- Western diet
- Injuries and sport injuries
- Chronic and painful diseases such as arthritis and endometriosis
- Stiffness and immobility.
BENEFITS OF ANTI-INFLAMMATORY FOODS:
These foods tend to be higher in nutrients and antioxidants, and help the body to rejuvenate quickly and dampen down the symptoms of inflammation.
- Turmeric – this “super-spice” is now widely recognised as having potent anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory actions. It is traditionally used in cooking, particularly curries to add a vibrant yellow colour. Turmeric is added to immune-boosting juices and of course, delicious Turmeric lattes. There are a wide range of health conditions that may benefit from turmeric such as arthritis and irritable-bowel syndrome.
- Ginger is widely used in cooking and cleansing juices. A potent antioxidant. Has well reported anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects helping to reduce pain. It is warming and comforting.
- Organic berries such as blueberries, raspberries, cherries and acai berries are a vibrant source of anti-inflammatory nutrients.
- Leafy Greens are a major source of nutrients such as iron and magnesium. They can easily be added to most dishes and if you are time-poor can be sourced via super green powders such as Amazonia’s Raw Greens.
- Green tea contains EGCG an important flavanol that is strongly antioxidant which is being widely studied in the prevention and treatment of a number of diseases commonly driven by inflammation. There are many varieties of green tea such as beautiful Matcha and Sencha teas. Green tea is a wonderful addition to a healthy lifestyle.
- Hemp products are now legal for consumption in Australia. Hooray! Hemp contains omega 3 and 6 fats, magnesium, zinc and iron! Hemp oil is great in salad dressings and smoothies. Hemp seeds are delicious with breakfast or added to goodie balls. Looking for a wonderful and sustaining vegan protein? Look no further than Hemp protein powder. It tastes delicious!
Speak with our team instore at Kunara for all of the best advice and information. Plus book in for a free 15 minute advice session with our qualified Naturopaths via our website.
This article is for educational purposes only. Always seek health advice from your healthcare professional.