vegetarian, vegan, dairy free
Cook time: 1 hour & 10 mins
Nothing beats a freshly baked Apple and Berry Crumble for dessert in the cooler months. This recipe is a true family favourite that brings back all those warm fuzzy childhood memories. You can even enjoy the leftovers as a sweet breakfast option.
What nutrients are in this crumble?
Oats are extremely rich in fibre, minerals and antioxidants, making them one of the most nutrient dense foods we can eat. They are also considered a nervine, which means they can calm our nerves and reduce stress and anxiety. Research has also shown that oats are beneficial in reducing blood pressure, cholesterol and blood sugar levels, making them the perfect addition to your diet.
Apples are high in a specific type of soluble fibre known as pectin. Apple pectin is extremely beneficial for digestive health, and can be used to regulate bowel movements and digestive functions as well as reducing inflammation, which may improve some digestive disorders such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Leaky Gut and Diarrhoea.
Berries are one of the most antioxidant rich foods on the planet. The high antioxidant content gives berries the ability to reduce inflammation, as well as reducing free radical damage and oxidative stress in the body, which has shown to be extremely beneficial in the prevention of many diseases.
- 6 organic apples
- 2 cups of organic fresh or frozen berries
- Coyo Vanilla Ice Cream to serve (optional)
Ingredients for crumble:
- ½ cup of plain flour
- ½ cup OWN rolled oats
- ¼ cup OWN coconut shreds
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tsp Chefs Choice Alcohol Free Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Simply Organic Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cut apples into 2cm cubes and mix together with the berries and place in a small roasting pan or slice tin (about 30 x 20cm). Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the crumble topping by putting the flour in a large mixing bowl, followed by the butter. Rub the mixture together using your fingers until it resembles medium-sized breadcrumbs. Add the remaining crumble ingredients and mix together.
- Once the apples and berries have baked for 35 minutes, remove from oven and discard the foil. Spread the crumble topping evenly over the fruit to cover. Bake for a further 35 minutes or until the crumble is golden in colour.
- Cool for 5 minutes and then serve warm with vegan ice cream.
Recipe by: Maddie Bingham