This banana cake is sure to create a buzz in your house! This one bowl wonder is deliciously moist, laced with the sweet flavour of local honey and filled with surprise chunks of hazelnut chocolate, curtesy of Vego choc buttons.
This recipe is so easy, it would be quicker to make this than head to the store and purchase banana bread. Plus, it is full of wholesome ingredients and none of the added nasties and sugar that often appear in the store-bought alternative. This cake is sweetened only with honey, bananas and tasty Vego Choc buttons. If you have not tried these buttons, you have not lived. They are scrumptious.
This cake can easily be made vegan by substituting the eggs for Organ egg substitute and swapping the honey for maple syrup! Also, feel free to swap the add ins or not use any at all!
Kids will love to help make this and it freezes great! If you have some spotting bananas lying around, this is the perfect use for them.
Recipe by Laura Scherian of Shez’s Kitchen
SERVES: 9 Slices
PREP: 25 minutes
COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- 1/3 cup Kunara coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup Pomona honey or Absolute Organic maple syrup
- 2 organic eggs
- 3 organic bananas, mashed
- ¼ cup Oatly milk (any milk will work)
- 1 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill baking powder
- ½ tsp. Bob’s Red Mill baking soda
- 2 cups Kunara wholemeal spelt flour (use a gluten free option if required)
- 1 tsp. Organic vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic cinnamon
- ½ cup Vego chocolate buttons
- ½ cup OWN walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180oC and line a square cake tin with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together oil and honey with a whisk. This can also be done in a stand-up mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Add the eggs and beat well. Then whisk through the mashed banana and milk.
- Add baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon and whisk to blend.
- Add flour to liquid mixture, use a wooden spoon and mix until just combined. Then, add choc chips and walnuts and gently stir through.
- Pour batter in prepared tin and bake for 25-30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Place pan on a cooling rack and allow to cool completely.