Sausage rolls are terrific finger food & our Vegan Sausage Rolls will please even the pickiest eaters. The have a distinctly cheesy flavour – this is thanks to the cashew cheese & savoury yeast flakes.
WHAT IS SAVORY YEAST FLAKES?
Basically it is deactivated yeast which comes in crisp golden flakes. You may be thinking of brewers yeast, which is used to make beer – this isn’t the same as savoury yeast but it’s related.
- 1/8 cup Linseed Meal
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 brown onion, roughly chopped
- 2 TBS fresh parsley
- 1 cup Walnut Halves
- 200g cashew cheese
- 1 TBS tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 2 tsp savoury yeast flakes
- 1 packet vegan puff pastry
- 2 TBS almond milk
- 2 TBS Organic Sesame Seeds
- Mix the linseed meal with the water and set aside.
- Add the onion, parsley & walnuts to a food processor and process until chunky.
- Add in the cashew cheese, tamari, breadcrumbs, oats, yeast & linseed meal mix and process until the mixture is smooth. Rest the mixture in the fridge for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- To make the sausage rolls cut a sheet of puff pastry in half and spread around 4 tablespoons of the filling mixture along one edge. Roll up the pastry and seal the edge with some almond milk. Repeat the process until all the mixture is used.
- Cut into 4 pieces and place on an oven tray. Brush with almond milk & sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20 mins at 200 degrees.