Time: 1 hour 15 mins
Vegan | Dairy Free
We present to you a plant-based version of this homestyle classic – the quiche! Perfect for any leftover vegetables you may have in the fridge and a great way to get your 5 plus a day!
Recipe by @fooddesignstudio
- Quiche Crust Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups OWN Spelt Flour
- 80g non-dairy butter
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon flaxseed ground into a powder, mixed with 3 tablespoons water, place in the fridge for 15 mins to thicken)
- Pinch of salt
- Cocolife Coconut Oil Spray
- Filling Ingredients
- 1 cup Ceres Organics Besan (Chickpea) Flour
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 3 tablespoons OWN Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- Handful cooked mushrooms, sliced as preferred
- Handful cherry tomatoes, sliced as preferred
- Handful kale, washed and chopped roughly
- To Serve
- Maleny Cuisine Spicy Tomato Relish
- In a large bowl, combine all of crust ingredients and use your hands to knead until a dough is formed. Roll the dough into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees bake.
- Roll the dough out into a large circle, large enough to fit into your pie or quiche dish.
- Spray the dish with the Coconut Oil Spray.
- Slowly lift the pasty and place it on-top of the quiche dish, pressing in and around the edges. Cut any overhanging edges off if you wish. Press a fork into the base of the dish 3 or 4 times and fill with rice or beans (to hold the pastry down whilst you blind bake).
- Place the dish in the oven and blind bake for 15 mins. Remove from the oven and discard the beans. Set aside whilst you make the filling.
- In a large bowl carefully whisk the chickpea flour and 1 cup of the water together. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, add the final 1 and a 1/2 cups of water, stock cube, nutritional yeast, turmeric, himalayan salt and bring to the boil on a medium-high heat. When the liquid is at a boil, slowly pour in the chickpea mixture and stir continuously.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir continuously for a further 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens and appears smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Add the cooked mushroom and kale and stir well, ensuring that every vegetable is evenly coated.
- Pour the filling into your quiche dish, level out along the top by smoothing over with a rubber ended spatula or large spoon. Grab your cherry tomatoes and push into the quiche to create a pattern if you wish.
- Place back into the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve with Maleny Cuisine Spicy Tomato Relish.