GF, V, no refined sugar.
This Summer Almond Cake is the perfect summer dessert for those seeking a sweet treat without loading up on refined sugars. The almond meal is also a nutrient dense flour alternative with fewer carbohydrates that will enhance your fiber and protein intake, so there is even less to feel guilty about.
What nutrients are we talking about?
Almond meal is rich in micronutrients vitamin E, magnesium, and manganese (which also happens to be a beneficial component of maple syrup). Magnesium and adequate fiber intake are important contributors to your cardiovascular health, and with a healthy dose of manganese and vitamin E, you will also be increasing your antioxidant consumption.
Recipe by Lauren Clayton
|180 grams Own blanched almond meal|
|60 grams Own certified organic desiccated coconut|
|2 teaspoons vanilla extract|
|1/3 cup Absolute Organic maple syrup|
|Pinch of Himalayan pink salt|
|¼ cup Own flaked almonds|
|Additional desiccated coconut for sprinkling|
- 1. Melt butter and set aside to cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 180c and then grease and line a round, 23cm cake tin.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and cooled butter.
- 4. In a separate large bowl, combine the almond meal, desiccated coconut, salt and maple syrup. Whisk together until combined.
- 5. Add the egg mixture to the large bowl and slowly stir together until well combined.
- 6. Pour into prepared cake tin, and sprinkle flaked almonds on top.
- 7. Bake for around 35 minutes or until the cake springs back upon being pressed.