Dairy-free | Nut-free | Vegetarian
MAKES: 9-12 medium-sized muffins
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 20-25 minutes
Strawberries are currently in season and we are so lucky in Queensland to be surrounded by local growers supplying us we fresh and tasty organic strawberries. Always a sucker for a special, I found myself buying a ridiculous amount of strawberries. Voilà, I was inspired to bake something with the excess. These strawberry and banana muffins were born and have quickly become a favourite for friends and family.
Full of quality ingredients and none of those nasties that are found in store-bought muffins. Made with whole-grains, good fats and sweetened with only fresh fruit and maple syrup, means these muffins not only taste good but are great for you. They are a great breakfast option for on the run, snack for the lunch box and great for a picnic. Plus, they freeze well, so make a batch over the weekend and lift out as needed.
- 1 ½ cups OWN wholemeal or white spelt flour (or wholemeal or white plain flour)
- ½ cup OWN rolled oats
- 1 tsp. Bob’s Red Mill bi-carb soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup Absolute Organic maple syrup
- ½ cup Chefs Choice coconut oil, melted
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- ½ tsp. Very Vanilla vanilla essence
- 2 organic eggs, at room temperature
- 2 medium organic bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup organic strawberries, diced
- Preheat oven to 160OC grease a medium muffin tray or line with muffin cases.
- In a large bowl, sift flour and bi-carb soda, then gently stir in oats and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together maple syrup, vanilla essence, milk and coconut oil.
- Next, whisk in one egg at a time and then stir in mashed bananas.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Finally, gently fold through diced strawberries.
- Spoon mixture into prepared tin until each mould about three-quarters full. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to touch. Keep an eye on them, as cooking time will vary depending on the size of muffins.
- When ready, transfer to a cooling rack.
Recipe by Laura Scherian