This recipe is seriously tasty and super easy to make! If you have never tried jackfruit before making this, it will blow your mind mixed in with a Smokey paprika BBQ flavour. You’ll love this… we do particularly because it features a creamy cashew cheese that’s so delish, simple to make and of course additive/preservative-free! You don’t have to be vegan to enjoy this, it’s packed with flavour, while still getting a load of nutrients in! Honestly makes a perfect meal for lunch or dinner!
- 1 packet (300g) Upton’s Naturals Plain Jackfruit
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp smoked paprika spice
- 2 tsp Niulife Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp Loving Earth coconut sugar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices SOL Breads Organic Sourdough (Multigrain)
- 1 Roma Tomato (finely sliced lengthways)
- 1 cup baby spinach
Cashew Cheese Topping:
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for 1-8 hours) 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of s&p
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup almond milk unsweetened
- Remove jackfruit from package, place in a strainer and wash thoroughly under running water.
- To make the cashew cheese, add all ingredients (apart from almond milk) to a high- speed blender or food processor and blend well together. While the motor is still going, slowly add in milk 1⁄4 cup at a time. Blend for 1-3 minutes, or until very smooth and creamy.
- Add the drained and washed jackfruit to a medium-sized bowl and mix in smoked paprika, coconut aminos, coconut sugar and 1⁄2 tsp olive oil. Mix well together and set aside.
- Then assemble the sandwiches. Top a slice of bread with 1⁄2 tablespoon cashew cheese, 1⁄2 cup baby spinach, 1⁄2 of the jackfruit mixture, a couple of slices of tomato and another 1⁄2 tbsp of cashew cheese. Then top with another slice of bread and repeat this step for the other sandwich.
- Heat a sandwich press or a large non-stick frypan with 1⁄2 tsp of olive oil. Place in your sandwiches and cook for 2-5 min per side, or until bread is crispy and golden brown and fillings are hot.
- Remove from pan or sandwich press and enjoy! I like to drizzle with another teaspoon of cashew cheese for an extra cheesy flavour.
Recipe by @lalasplate