gluten free, vegan, nut free, soy free, wheat free
Serves: 2 – 6 people [depending on cauliflower size]
This is our take on roast Cauliflower – with a difference to impress your family & friends. Serving a whole cauli certainly makes an impression, and by adding savoury yeast you achieve a delicious nutty, cheese taste that goes well with any meal.
It’s perfect for those following a gluten free & vegan diet too – so everyone can savour the cheese flavour! Enjoy on its own, or as a mouth-watering side to any meal. Easy to prepare as well…which makes this a winner in our house!
WHAT IS SAVOURY YEAST?
Savoury yeast is a great staple to have on hand, for adding a little cheesy taste to your savoury meals.
It’s perfect for those on a gluten free & vegan diet, as it’s a tasty dairy free alternative to cheese.
Also called Nutritional Yeast – it’s essentially yeast that is deactivated (meaning it can no longer ferment) and often a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
It comes from the same family as brewers or bakers yeast. It’s a wonderful complete protein, as it contains all nine essential amino acids, which we humans need to source from foods to help us grow & function properly. Whilst some of the best amino acids come from animal protein sources, vegetarians & vegans can grab some extra help from savoury yeast!
It’s an ideal partner to veggie bakes, home made pizzas, baked sweet potato, pasta and so much more!
|whole organic cauliflower
|organic extra virgin olive oil OR coconut oil
|1/3 cup – Lotus savoury yeast flakes
|Himalayan sea salt
|paprika & cumin to season
1. Wash & dry cauliflower head and discard of any leaves, cutting steam down so it sits nicely on a baking tray.
2. Preheat oven to 190 degrees & line a baking dish.
3. Add caul head to a bowl, drizzle with at least 3 TBS of Olive oil.
4. Sprinkle cumin & paprika (1/2 tsp of each or more if you like a stronger spice!) plus a good sprinkle of Himalayan Sea Salt.
5. Using your hands, carefully rub the oil, salt & spices all over the cauli head ensuring it’s well covered.
6. Lastly – add Savoury yeast to the top and mix in as well with your fingers.
7. Place cauli in the oven and roast for at least 30 – 40 minutes or until soft & warm. The top should be nice & browned.
8. Remove from the oven and top with a little more savoury yeast if a stronger cheese flavour is desired.
9. You can also make this by slicing the cauli into ‘steaks’ and baking covered in seasoning – which makes it easier to eat / serve.