Enjoy a kitchen smelling like home-baked cookies and snuggling up in the warmth of a blanket or fire. These Orange & Ginger Cookies are super fun to make, especially when the kids see that they have quadrupled in size once dolloped onto the baking tray, and baked in the oven for only 10-15 minutes! Recipe by @fooddesignstudio
Serves: Makes 12 large cookies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 ground cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups spelt flour
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons non dairy butter
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or rice malt syrup
- Juice from 1/2 an orange
- Rind from 1/2 an orange
- Preheat oven 180 degrees bake.
- Place the spices, spelt flour, baking soda and salt in a medium-sized mixing bowl and combine.
- In another bowl, add the butter, whipping with an electric beater until fluffy and creamy.
- Add the egg and whip again.
- Now add the sugars, golden syrup and orange juice and whip again.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Grate in the orange zest and fold the cookie dough with your hands.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the cookie dough and drop onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat this method until the baking tray is full. Note, you will need to keep approx 2 inches between each cookie dough ball as they will expand into large cookies during the oven baking process!
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the top of the cookie is slightly hardened.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to completely harden and crisp up.