Dairy-free | Vegan | Gluten-free option
PREP: 20 minutes (depending if pasta & veggies are cooked)
COOK TIME: 20 – 25 minutes
To my vegan, dairy-free and plant-based friends, you are going thank me for this one. There is nothing better than a bowl of warm cheesy pasta bake on a cold winters night and this recipe allows for everyone to enjoy the experience!
It can be difficult to cater for all the different nutritional requirements that can be requested when having people around for dinner or even just within the average family. However, this little gem will please majority and if not, can be adapted to do so. Feel free to add your own flair, I love to add some pesto and pumpkin to mine for something a little different.
Who would have thought a cheesy sauce without any cheese could be so easy and taste so good. Full of vegetables and flavour, you do not have to be vegan to appreciate this delicious pasta bake.
- 2 ½ Tbsp. Absolute Organic olive oil
- 2 ½ Tbsp. Spelt Flour (use any flour or gluten-free if required)
- 2 cups plant based milk (I used Bonsoy Almond)
- 1 tsp. Global Organics Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup Lotus savoury yeast flakes
- ¼ tsp. Simply Organic onion powder
- 1/8 tsp Simply Organic garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Simply Organic paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup organic broccoli florets, lightly steamed
- 1 cup organic cauliflower florets, lightly steamed
- 2 cups of cooked pasta of your choice (use gluten free if needed)
- 1 cup of grated Daiya vegan ‘cheese’
- ½ cup wholemeal breadcrumbs (optional, use gluten-free if required)
- 3 TBSP. organic parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180oC and lightly oil a medium casserole dish.
- Time to make the cheesy sauce. Place a saucepan over medium-high heat and pour in olive oil. When the oil begins to warm, add flour and cook off for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously with a whisk or wooden spoon. Add milk and whisk continually to prevent lumps forming until sauce starts to thicken. The sauce should start to thicken a few minutes after boiling point. When the sauce has reached the desired thickness, remove from heat, and stir in mustard, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl combine cooked pasta, broccoli and cauliflower. Mix through cheese sauce and pour into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle cheese, breadcrumbs and parsley on top. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden on top.
Recipe by Laura Scherian