Thanks to Kira Westwick for this amazing recipe! Gluten and dairy free and naturally sweetened, these muffins are sure to be a crowd pleaser for all! Muffins with Salted caramel shots are all the rage right now, these are optional of course, and my healthy whole food version is to die for 😉
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 3 organic eggs
- 2 TBS organic maple syrup, or preferred sweetener
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almond meal
- 1/4 cup organic desiccated Coconut
- 1/2 cup Figs or Dates, chopped
INGREDIENTS (WALNUT CRUMBLE)
- 1/2 cup Blanched Almond Meal
- 1/2 cup Walnut Halves, finely chopped
- 2 TBS Organic Maple Syrup, or preferred sweetener
- 1 TBS Organic Coconut Oil
- Sprinkle cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract, optional
INGREDIENTS (OPTIONAL SALTED CARAMEL SHOTS)
- 1/2 cup Cashew Spread
- 1/2 cup Organic Maple Syrup
- 1 TBS Organic EV Coconut Oil
- Dash of pure vanilla
- Good pinch of Fine Himalayan Salt
- Splash of water, if needed to caramel consistency
- 9x 12ml syringes
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Place banana, eggs, oil, vanilla, sweetener, cinnamon and baking powder in a blender and blend until smooth. Mix together with dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Spoon into a muffin tray lined with muffin cases.
- To make the crumble rub the ingredients together between your fingers for a crumble topping. Sprinkle over each muffin before going into the oven.
- Place into the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes. Check with a skewer, and continue cooking if needed until it comes out clean- they will take 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven. Take care not to burn the topping.
- Meanwhile blend or process the caramel until smooth, and fill syringes. These are available at the pharmacy.
- Once muffins are cool garnish with shots and fresh figs.
- Fresh or frozen berries or your favourite dried fruit or nuts are great additions to this recipe.
- Makes 9 large muffins.