Vegetarian, Gluten free
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
A sweet treat that’s both delicious and nutritious! We love nothing more than creating a snack to satisfy and also contribute to your daily nutrient intake.
What nutrients are we talking about?
These ginger and carrot cupcakes will satisfy any sweet tooth, whilst made on protein and fibre-full almond meal with beneficial ingredients such as hemp seeds, walnuts and fresh ginger. Gingerol, the main active component in ginger, is what gives it it’s powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These same physical benefits have also been associated with the consumption of walnuts and hemp seeds.
This recipe has been created using sweet sultanas and rapadura sugar in place of inflammatory processed sugars to retain most of these anti-inflammatory benefits.
Remember, root vegetables such as carrots and ginger which are grown in the ground are more susceptible to contamination by fertilizers, so in this case organic certainly is best.
- 5 cups almond meal
- 4 organic carrots, grated
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. natural yogurt
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. vanilla paste, we love Very Vanilla, sustainably grown and made
- 1 tsp. grated fresh organic ginger
- 1/2 cup OWN organic hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup Absolute Organic maple syrup
- 1 cup OWN certified organic sultanas
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup greek yogurt, we’ve used Barambah Organics
- 1/2 cup rapadura or coconut sugar
- Chopped OWN Australian walnuts to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare (and grease if necessary) 12 cup muffin tray.
- In a large bowl, combine all cake ingredients. Stir well with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are combined and consistency is fairly smooth.
- Transfer mixture evenly into 12 cup muffin tray.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- While your muffins are cooking… Place your icing ingredients (yoghurt + rapadura sugar) into a small bowl and whisk until combined and creamy.
- Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool on a cooling tray.
- Once cooled, you can ice your cup cakes and top wth chopped walnuts.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe by: Lauren Clayton-Smith