Makes: 8 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Supporting your milk supply with Boobie Bircher!
There are many factors that can decrease a breastfeeding mother’s milk supply. These can include;
- Lack of quality sleep
- Hormone imbalances
- Separation from child (e.g. returning to work)
- Inadequate nutrition
- Inadequate water intake
- Another pregnancy
Sometimes these factors are, unfortunately, unavoidable. Particularly when a mother is being woken during the night by a demanding baby, or is required to return to work during the breastfeeding period. There are, however, some steps you can take in regards to your nutrition to bolster your milk supply. This Boobie Bircher recipe can be made in bulk at the start of the week, providing support for the busiest of lactating mothers.
Oats are one of the most important foods a breastfeeding mother can incorporate for increasing their supply. They’re packed full of vitamins and minerals for boosting energy levels and relieving anxiety, as well as estrogens and saponins known for balancing hormones.
Brewer’s yeast is also an effective nutritional supplement known to support lactation, and is a rich source of B-vitamins, minerals and protein. The whole family can benefit from this easy nutritional breakfast.
Galactagogues are herbs known for supporting and increasing breastmilk production. You may consider incorporating some of the following galactagogues into your diet;
- Goat’s Rue
- Raspberry Leaf Tea
[All Flannery’s stores have knowledgeable certified naturopaths who can help with any breastfeeding problems you may have. They can provide suggest and provide herbal remedies tried-and-tested to further support your milk supply.]
- 3 cups OWN Certified Organic Rolled Oats
- 2.5 cups apple juice, we love Greenwood’s bio-dynamic apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups yogurt. We love Barambah Organics Bush Honey yogurt with this recipe.
- 2/3 cup slivered or flaked almonds
- 1 tbsp. brewer’s yeast
- 3 small or 2 large organic apples, grated or finely chopped
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 cups organic blueberries, frozen or fresh
- 2/3 cup organic sultanas
- 1/2 cup goji berries
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Allow to soak. Overnight is great but even 20 minutes is sufficient.
- Keep refrigerated.
Recipe by @claydo_
*Note: Keep for up to a week in the refrigerator.