Dairy-free | Gluten-free | Vegan
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: approximately 30-40 minutes
This Beetroot relish is delicious and super easy to make. By making it yourself it means you know what is in it! This recipe has way less sugar than the majority of store-bought relishes and also has no additional nasties used to preserve it.
The humble beetroot has so many health benefits. It’s low in calories and packed with essential nutrients, such as fibre, folate, B6, manganese, potassium and vitamin C. Beetroots may also improve blood flow, increase exercise performance and lower blood pressure, all mainly due to the high levels of nitrates found in beets.
Adding a little relish is a great way to jazz up almost any meal. Some ideas include in sandwiches, with any meats, as a side for a quiche or frittata, with eggs for breakfast or as featured with avocado on Venerdi paleo toast
- 3 large organic beetroots (about 600g), peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 organic brown onion, coarsely grated
- 1 green organic apple, coarsely grated
- ½ cup OWN coconut sugar
- ½ cup Bragg apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tbsp. currants
- 1 tsp. Simply Organic, ground all spice
- Place all ingredients in a pot, give it a stir. Cover and bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and continue to simmer until liquid has evaporated and beetroots are tender and glossy.
- Place in a jar and store in the fridge for 1-2 weeks. Alternatively, store in sterilised jars for up to 2 months.